Thursday, August 20, 2009

Social Stories

Social Stories are a great way to target pragmatic/social difficulties you are having with a client or a child of your own.

One kid I worked with in my internship in the schools was TERRIFIED of pigeons. Like, would not walk within 100 ft. of them, and instead had to walk around the entire perimeter of the school to avoid them, terrified.

So, we wrote and "produced" :) a social story about Pigeons.

Here are a couple pictures of the finished product:

(Full text reads: Pigeons are friendly birds that like to eat worms and fly in the air. There are a lot of pigeons at X Elementary that I see when I walk around the school. They especially like to hang out around the cafeteria. I may not like pigeons, but I can walk by them without covering my ears. I can pass them calmly because I know they can't hurt me. I am brave around pigeons.)



On other pages we included pictures of the little boy so that he knew the book was about him.

After a couple days of reading it each session before working on other goals, he started to warm up to the birds. We no longer had to walk around the entire school and he even thought they were kinda cool.

We then had him take his own pictures of the pigeons and we added a page of his photography to the book:
He loved being involved in the process, and he got pretty dang close to those birds when trying to get a good pic. By the end of the semester, even though he wasn't wanting one for a pet, he definitely was more tolerant and less scared of them.

I also made a social story for a client who was having a lot of difficulty losing. Another story I made for my two year old son who was having a hard time sharing his toys with friends who came to our house. Both social stories were effective and helped to decrease undesired behaviors.

So try em out. I've been encouraged by their effectiveness.

No comments: